Monday, November 7, 2011

Lucy and Ethel take to the African Wild

Today is Monday our final day in Ugangda and the weather is perfect. However, I woke up in the middle of the night thinking it was pouring rain outside only to realize that we had a major water leak in our hallway and so it was really raining inside! So I quickly packed up my suitcase and Little Lizzy's and put them on the end's of our beds so that if it started flowing toward our room they wouldn't get soaked. I unplugged the power strip and everything attached to it and put that up as well. I did all this with Liz sleeping soundly. The last thing I had to do was zip my suitcase so everything wouldn’t fall out. With that Liz woke up and wanted to know why her suitcase and everything else was on the end of her bed. After explaining the situation she was back asleep in no time. But we are in the wilderness so a little excitement was OK!

Saturday when we got here we went on a boat safari. We got the boat early and the captain told us to sit on the left side. So we did and waited in the hot sun for about 45 minutes before take off. But it was well worth it cause that was the side closest to all the animals. We saw water buffalo, hippos, elephants, crocodiles, eagles and a python. That was one more animal than I bargained for! And we got close enough for some awesome pictures. It was a really nice trip and we were on the water for about two hours! We came back and ate dinner at the lodge – which is a really nice place; not where we are staying however. We are staying at their poor man’s neighbor – the hostel! Our little house has three rooms and probably the worst restroom I have ever encountered though in Lizzy’s words it does not have a squatty potty so there are some things to be thankful for. But it leaks all over the floor and in the water are ants, now mostly dead from drowning. So going potty is an adventure I dread every time! Liz and I share a room that has power. Last night as the flood started Phil went outside to try to find help. Peter decided this was not a good idea and went out to follow him and find him. That is until he heard an animal sound. He quickly turned around and came home announcing there was no reason for both of them to die! He does have a great sense of humor; very dry but very funny!

Yesterday in the morning we got up early and went on our first land safari. We saw lions from a distance (and actually got out of the car for a better view). We also saw warthogs (for those of you who have seen the Lion King Pumba was much cuter), cobb (like antelope), water bucks and water buffalo. And we went over some pretty rough but beautiful terrain. In the afternoon we went back out for a second trip and this time we were inundated with elephant; big ones, little ones, even tiny baby ones! What incredible animals they are! We also saw baboons (thanks to Liz’s eagle eyes. We saw more warthogs, mongoose and lots and lots of birds. The national bird of Uganda is beautiful and majestic; much better than the Texas mockingbird!

At lunch yesterday in between the two trips there was a warthog in the back of the grounds by the restaurant. I was intrigued to see how close he would let me get. Well we got pretty close to the old fella and got some pictures with Liz and I within 3-4 feet. Today at breakfast a whole community of Mongoose (geese) came by to say howdy so again I went up to check them out. They had little tiny babies with them and they were so cute. The mothers were so exhausted they just lay there and they babies, well, they were acting like babies, getting into everything. So we have pictures with them too. But you’ll be glad to know we will not attempt this trick with the Lions and I will not attempt it with any snake I see. This afternoon at two we are headed out for one last safari. I can’t wait. It is so much fun to see the animals in their natural habitat and the scenery is so beautiful. God has blessed Uganda with such beauty. All you have to do is look outside and know He exists.

I will try to write again tonight. Until then, know I am in photographer’s heaven. But then with all the children around, I’ve been there for the last month (just ask Liz). We are both very anxious to board that plane tomorrow night and begin our journey home. We miss you all and love you.

3 comments:

  1. Praying for safe travels home and for peaceful hearts and you kiss those babies goodbye. Oh and that you will enjoy the Belgium waffle - Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful to see up close the majesty of God's creation. A nice reward for a job well done! I am so excited that you'll be home this week I know I am one of many!!!!!!!!!!! Safe travels my friend.
    Love you,
    Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you're having lots of fun...be careful with all of this getting out of the truck please!!

    Can't wait to talk to you in person (or at least via the phone or Google Chat).

    Safe flight...I'll be thinking of you

    your seester

    ReplyDelete