Friday, November 4, 2011

The Journey that Went on Forever...

Today we got up and were suppose to leave Phil's abode at 9 (we got a reprieve from our six a.m. departure time last night due to Peter having something to do this morning) but we finally backed out of the driveway around 10. We got to the gas station when the phone rang and it was Esther telling Phil he had left his computer at home. So we waited for her to get a taxi (a motorcycle) to meet us with his stuff. Meanwhile, Scovia, Susan's mom, realized she'd left her phone behind at her house. So she hopped on a taxi and took off for home. And there we waited. Next thing I know cute little Esther is jumping off the motorcycle with computer in hand running up to the car. She is so dang cute! And within minutes Scovia returned and we were on our way!

Now Steve looked up Queen Elizabeths Resort last night and in an email to me he said it should take seven hours. But then Steve has never been to Uganda to see the road system. The roads can be paved one minute and the next you are facing craters a foot in diameter and at least that deep. So again it is a test of who can swerve the best. The biggest car on the road has the right of way; no exceptions allowed. It is not at all surprising for three cars to be passing at once on a hill around a curve, while a truck is heading straight for them. On several occasions Phil opted for the shoulder of the road as opposed to be killed and taking us with him. Because I am the photographer I get the front seat. It has its advantages but I have grown several new gray hairs since being here; and even more just in our trip today! The roads are amazing. We did see one major accident today. A truck carrying a load of carrots went off the road and into a ditch. I'm not sure the driver survived and the carrots were scattered everywhere. The accident was a result of a blown tire which I'm told is quite common due to the lack of upkeep on the vehicles. The good thing was that several cars stopped immediately to see what they could do to help.

And then we just moseying down the highway when what to my wondering eyes did appear but zebras. Not deer like at home! But zebras just grazing on the side of the road. That's when I knew I was not in Kansas anymore! It was the neatest thing to experience. Along the way I took a lot of pictures of Uganda. This is such a pretty country when you look at the landscape. Everything is so green. And then you come to the villages and they all look the same. Red dirt roads and houses made of sticks packed with mud. Some are made of wood but those are in such bad condition that the poverty just shines through. I have never before seen such poverty as I have seen in this country. It seems to be everywhere. Every once in a while I have come across a nice house but they are the rare acceptation and definitely not the norm. I have such a hard time imagining people living in these conditions and yet this is their life. I am so blessed for all that I have and I hope that I never take it for granted.

So tomorrow we are driving the final three hours to the game park and we will begin our day with the boat ride to see the animals of the water. Our original plan was to stay there tomorrow and Sunday and to leave Monday for Kampala. But now that we are not arriving until tomorrow we are on Plan B. We are now going to stay through Monday and leave Tuesday early and head directly for the airpot. As for me, I like plan B better than the original. I have no interest in staying in Kampala and another day at the park sounds like fun. I guess I will have a better idea tomorrow. So for Liz and I we bid you goodnight. Pray we see hippos, crocodiles and all those other African water creatures. May God Bless you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment